11.03.2015

The Five Things I Can Never Remember

I'm sure we've all experienced those moments of misplacing keys or forgetting to return an email or walking into a room and saying to yourself, "Now, what was it I came in here for?" Well, recently I forgot about a very important appointment, and that was something completely unlike me. Understanding that I'm human and that I make mistakes, I need to give myself some grace every now and then. Despite the high standards I keep for myself, there are a few certain things that I am consistently terrible at remembering.

I can never remember to send birthday cards.
The birthdays of friends and family are forever catalogued in my brain. My 2nd grade boyfriend? February 22nd. My childhood BFF? August 21st. My college roommates? Too many, but they're in there. The most important people in my life? Absolutely. And every year I have the best of intentions to send them a birthday card- I will even pick one up at the grocery store- but I forget to send it- until it's their actual birthday, in which case I think to myself, "Is it tactless to send a belated birthday card?" So I never end up sending them. Same is true for holidays.

Speaking of the grocery store...

I can never remember that one thing I went to the grocery store for in the first place.
Do you ever do that? Gosh, it bugs me. That's exactly why I make lists. But on the off chance that I don't and I'm just stopping in to pick up a few items, there's a pretty good chance that I'll forget that one important thing.

I can never remember to return library books on time, if at all.
I know for a fact that somewhere on my bookshelf at home there exists a copy of Cry, the Beloved Country, which belonged to an Ohio public library circa 1997.

I can never remember identifying associations-- like people's names, which artist sings which song, or (more recently) which dance pattern is called what.
Maybe because I'm a visual learner? Idk.

I can never remember how to properly bake a sweet potato.
Is it 425 degrees for an hour? Is it 500 degrees for 15 minutes followed by 400 degrees for 45 minutes? Or am I confusing the 500 degrees thing with how to make a pork roast? I call my mother every time.

So there you have it: the five things I can never remember.

What are some of the things that often slip your mind?


No comments:

Post a Comment