I recently had two separate conversations with different recording artists, one of whom is in an up-and-coming band who've begun getting more recognition and radio airplay in the past year, another of whom is semi-retired now but was once a member of one of the biggest bands in the Christian music industry. These conversations fascinate me because each person holds a vastly different perspective on the industry at this point in their careers. It goes something like this.
The first person stressed the importance of experience, touring and ticket sales. Smaller bands want to get on board with bigger bands so that they can gain some recognition and credibility, and as a result, to grow their own fanbase and further their career. But the bigger bands want to bring on bands who already have that. They need to know that the smaller bands may even help them sell tickets-- in all markets-- meaning, not only are they a quality act, but also that they already have that sought-after fanbase. It's a catch-22 that makes up one reason why starting out is so difficult. It's the same way in any job market. You need experience to land a job, but no one will hire you because you don't have experience. This emphasis is industrial and impersonal, but necessary to "make it." Before I move on, let me say that I find no fault with that view. It is wise advice.
The other person is someone who I've been acquaintances with for years, have seen play in arenas and tour internationally. He's now involved in a smaller, independent project, and I went to see him a few weeks ago at a small church on the outskirts of town. There were about 100 people in attendance. I was honestly a little concerned over the lack of publicity and people there, but he said something so profound to me. In the most gentle way, he said, "It was a good show. It felt like the people who needed to be here were here. We're just so over.....the egos."
Let's be honest. We've all traveled 6 hours to play a show for 5 people, and it can do a bit of damage to a spirit. I think for an artist starting out in this industry, you've gotta be ready to put up a fight. You've gotta be relentless. It's awful, and I don't know why we put ourselves through it. But we do, and we hope that somewhere on the other end peoples' lives will somehow be touched. So whether you're just getting your first single on the radio or you've had 10 #1 Hits or you're just making $10 in a tip jar, what is it that you concern yourself with?


No comments:
Post a Comment